Today marks the 100th anniversary of International Womenâ€™s Day (IWD). Itâ€™s a global day dedicated to honoring the economic, political, and social achievements women have made throughout history by celebrating the women in our lives today. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam, and Bulgaria, International Womenâ€™s Day is a national holiday.
This year, Jolkona is partnering with CRAVE and a number of women-owned businesses to launch Give to Girls (Give2Girls), a campaign dedicated to educating, empowering, and providing health for women and girls around the world.
But why are we launching this campaign if women already get one entire day dedicated to them?
Because we want to change the statistics*
- When a girl in the developing world receives seven or more years of education, she marries four years later and has 2.2 fewer children.
- An extra year of primary school boosts girlsâ€™ eventual wages by 10 to 20 percent. An extra year of secondary school: 15 to 25 percent.
- When women and girls earn income, they reinvest 90 percent of it into their families, as compared to only 30 to 40 percent for a man.
- The total global population of girls ages 10 to 24 â€” already the largest in history â€” is expected to peak in the next decade.
- One-quarter to one-half of girls in developing countries become mothers before age 18; 14 million girls aged 15 to 19 give birth in developing countries each year.
- Medical complications from pregnancy are the leading cause of death among girls ages 15 to 19 worldwide. Compared with women ages 20 to 24, girls ages 10 to 14 are five times more likely to die from childbirth, and girls 15 to 19 are up to twice as likely, worldwide.
It doesnâ€™t have to be this way. We all have the ability to help make an impact in the lives of women and girls in our own community and around the globe. We all can celebrate International Womenâ€™s Day by looking beyond where weâ€™re at today and think about where we want to be tomorrow.
Announcing the Give 2 Girls Campaign
We are committed to improving the lives of women and girls around the world. To jumpstart this investment in their future, we are partnering with CRAVE and a group of women-owned businesses who have created a fund that will match the first gifts made to womenâ€™s development projects on Jolkona, dollar for dollar, up to $2,000.
Will you be one of the first donors to join us in investing in the women of tomorrow by giving to the girls of today?
For each donation made, you will receive a proof of impact for your donation as well as the impact for the matched donation. Once exceed the matched donation, letâ€™s keep the momentum going and see how much we can raise for these projects through the end of March.
Special Thank You
This campaign is made possible by the generous support of the following businesses that have combined their dollars to sponsor the matched fund for this campaign. Each one of these companies are owned by women and but their client base is not. We encourage you to check them out!
Gold level: Hias Gourmet
Silver level: Virtually Savvy
Bronze level: Flaunt, Inc.
We would also like to thank the team at CRAVE for partnering with us on this campaign and helping us put International Womenâ€™s Day on the map!
Join the movement â€“ you can follow our progress and our total impact on our website, as well as the conversations that are happening on Facebook and on Twitter (via @Jolkona and #Give2Girls).
Other ways to get involved
- Tonight, weâ€™re kicking off the campaign by celebrating International Womenâ€™s Day with CRAVE at PNK Ultra Lounge. If youâ€™re in Seattle, come join us for the fun and stay for the dessert bar (RSVP here!).
*Source: Girl Effect Fact Sheet