Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator Program
2017 – 2018
Application Opens: July 1, 2017
Application Deadline: Deadline has been extended to August 31, 2017
What We Are Looking For
Jolkona is now accepting applications from citizens of the countries listed below.
We are actively looking for opportunities to expand the list of countries we work with and encourage you to contact us if your country is not listed below. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Africa (AF): Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda
- East Asia and the Pacific (EAP): Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand
- The Middle East and North Africa (NEA): Algeria, Egypt, Isreal, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka
- Western Hemisphere (WHA): Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela
Before you apply, please review the following requirements:
- You must be the founder of an active social enterprise that has been in operation for at least one year.
- We are specifically looking for social entrepreneurs who have spent 1-3 years building a small to medium size social venture (for-profit or non-profit) and have a proven track record
- Founder should be committed to his/her venture and does not see it as a side business or a hobby
- Founder must be able to participate in the full virtual program & if selected, they should be able to participate in a full THREE-week program in U.S. While we are finalizing the dates, the program will most likely take place in May 2018.
- We encourage applications from diverse entrepreneurs who have faced barriers related to their gender, race, age, geography, disability or sexual orientation or their status as veterans or displaced workers.
- International founders must be eligible for a J1 or B visa
- Because our curriculum is in English, founder must be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application
- There is no cost to apply. There is a program fee once you are accepted: $100 USD for the full 4month virtual program.
What We Offer
Young people can leverage entrepreneurship to drive social innovation in their communities. The Jolkona Catalyst program provides young social entrepreneurs with tangible skills, mentorships, and opportunities to establish and grow their social enterprises.
Specifically the program is designed to:
- Develop general entrepreneurship skills around pitching, creating business plans, creating effective marketing campaigns, and team building
- Expose participants to interesting models of social entrepreneurship and social enterprise structures
- Foster job creation and positive social impact
- Build people-to-people exchanges & partnerships
- Transfer best practices
- Showcase entrepreneurs to potential investors in United States & their home countries
- Highlight successful social enterprises to motivate more youths
- Increase social entrepreneurship activities in emerging
Jolkona covers a core set of learning objectives and customizes the curriculum to each cohort. This offers a unique learning opportunity that is tailored to the needs of each participant.
Virtual Program: August – December 2017
- Applications due: August 15th, 2017
- Online workshop: How to Engage With Your Mentor September 15 – 30
- Online workshop: Lean Business Model Canvas October 1 – 15
- Online workshop: Crafting Your Pitch October 15 – 30
- Business plans, Pitch Decks, Pitch Videos (3min) from the entrepreneurs due: Friday, November 17th
- Business plans, Pitch Decks, Pitch Videos (3min) distributed to mentors: November 31st
- 3 Mentor Calls (scheduled): December 4th to 15th January 15th – January 31st
- Feedback and scorecards distributed to the entrepreneurs: December 5th
Seattle Program: May 2018
A select number of entrepreneurs will be invited to participate in the three-week program. These will be selected by a panel of judges based on participation in the virtual program and the scores from the Business plan, Pitch Deck, Pitch Video scorecards.
During the three-week Seattle-based program, Jolkona delivers an actionable curriculum that covers key startup concepts through workshops, one-on-one mentor meetings, and site visits. View a sample curriculum: Jolkona Catalyst Curriculum Example
Discussions & hands-on exercises address topics like:
- Defining Mission & Vision
- Determining Product/Market Fit
- Identifying Unique Value Proposition
- Engaging Your Audience With Storytelling
- Sustainable Revenue Models
We are continually growing our team of mentors that includes members of the Seattle business, startup and education communities. Jolkona mentors work with our Catalysts one-on-one for the duration of the program. Our mentors support our Catalysts as they develop their pitches and offer individualized advice to support our Catalysts in working through their venture’s current challenges.
Questions? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
“Jolkona Catalyst was one of the biggest opportunities for me to have global entrepreneurship training. To step back from my venture, and to look at it from a different perspective helped me to refine the path to our vision…” – Faraiba F, Jolkona Catalyst Alum